Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

galileosstar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2008, 11:41 pm

Hello everyone!
It has been awhile since I have posted, but I need help!

It is almost the end of the school year for us and my son's teacher is retiring.
This teacher has been AMAZING for our ds. During our IEP meeting he made sure to have it on record that the school needed to add books to their professional library on how to help students with asperger's in the classroom so that future teachers for our ds could read and learn what they could do to help him and other aspie students that go to the school. He also has always made sure to build up our ds's self esteem and self worth. If ds made a mistake he would first have our son calm down and then his teacher would point out all the positives our son had all the great things about him and then go back and help son think of different ways of handleing situations or better choices of things that he could do to improve on. He brought this up during the IEP meeting stressing that our ds would have A LOT of "hard knocks" in life and he wanted to make sure that our ds could remember all the great things about himself so that he could get back up and recover from the "hard knocks" in life. The teacher said that this was something that other teachers needed to help him with as well. I have been witness to the teacher doing this with ds, pointing out all the good qualities that our son has and letting ds know that he is a "wonderful and smart young man".

This teacher was also the first ever to go on record during the IEP meeting to say that there was a group of boys that were bullying our ds and would try to bait ds. I could go on and on but this teacher has been amazing and unfortunately he is retiring.... the world needs more teachers like this man and I would really like to do something nice for him. I already have a letter of appriciation but does anyone have any ideas of something memorable we can do for him to show him how much he has meant to us and ds? Thank you so much!

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2008, 1:53 am

Hi. Both my husband and myself are teachers. Must say that "momento" gifts don't really do it to us - it is very kind of people, but we often end up with many ornaments, cups etc. that aren't necessarily our style. Things labelled "No. 1 teacher" items are a very nice thought, but when you get a collection of them, they get a bit much.

What we appreciate the most is vouchers for things that we can enjoy, eg. restaurant, petrol, or other. I always remember one family giving my husband petrol vouchers, and he spent the whole school holidays, each time we went out or away, saying, "And this trip was brought to you by the Anderson family . . . !"

So, I would recommend either vouchers for something, or if you do buy an actual present, investigate that it is something that they really need or like. On the other hand, they might be a hoarder and like anything!

ster
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 5:40 am

i'm a teacher also, and have to admit that i don't really like the token gifts....much prefer gift certificates.........would accept whatever's given graciously, but you're asking for preferences................two of my favorite teacher gifts are: a homemade blanket & gift certificate to the book store ( so they can curl up with a good book); a gift certificate to the video store, microwave popcorn & candy ( so that they can relax with a good movie)