Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cursed_brunette
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2008, 7:29 am

okay here's the deal.

I am very bright (although not mathmatically inclined). I can do most any job & have had my fair share of job changes. I need to find work that has LITTLE to NO contact with HUMANS...

I am a nurse, a phlebotomist, floral design artist ~ I don't want to do these things anymore...

Too much Human contact... Doing these things just sets me up to fail in the social arena. I can do the job but not the associate with NT's. I end up being a nervous wreck all the time. Miserable, with tons of physical fatigue & emotional stress.

I cannot stress my need to stop dealing with this world enough. I am sick & tired of failing. I am sich of always feeling like an oddity.

I would like to find a position I can do from home.

Any ideas.

More education is an option.

What kind of jobs do you all have? How do you handle the NT's?

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:03 am

cursed_brunette wrote:
okay here's the deal.

I'm a programmer;
Perhaps u should try web design as like programming it will allow you to work at home,
I don't talk to my clients,it's all done via emails and instant messaging if needed.
NT make me sick,
literally,
My health and my mental state improved a lot since i left the NT planet,
and i don't see myself ever going back.
few weeks ago i bumped into an NT who used to know me 10 years ago and he asked me how come i look so much better and younger now,
i don't like to hurt ppl so i didn't told him the real reason.

cursed_brunette

06 Jun 2008, 10:47 am

nara44 wrote:
cursed_brunette wrote:
okay here's the deal.

I'm a programmer;
Perhaps u should try web design as like programming it will allow you to work at home,
I don't talk to my clients,it's all done via emails and instant messaging if needed.
NT make me sick,
literally,
My health and my mental state improved a lot since i left the NT planet,
and i don't see myself ever going back.
few weeks ago i bumped into an NT who used to know me 10 years ago and he asked me how come i look so much better and younger now,
i don't like to hurt ppl so i didn't told him the real reason.

I will have to look into this as an area for me to work. How much College did you need? Is it mathmatical?

I have tried to make it in an NT world and can't.
I have also developed physical ailments that stem from dealing with NT. I have GERD, Migrain Headaches, Bowel problems, chest pain... I have gained weight at the last job I was at because of the stress. I don't want to live like this anymore. I always felt nervous & am always upset.

I have been home for the past few weeks do to a work related injury & I feels 100% better. My physical condition is better, my mental state is relaxed & I feel alive.

Draws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 12:22 pm

I am also a web developer/programmer and work from home. Webdesign is less mathematical then programming in general. It mainly consists of designing a webpage and then turning it into html. There are plenty of online tutorials on how to do these things, I never bothered going to school for it. I usually start by drawing what I want the webpage to look like on paper and then scanning it into the computer and create the graphics using adobe photoshop and/or corel paint shop pro. These programs can seem daunting at first, especially photoshop. Your floral design experience should mean you have good design sence which is important for making good webpages. Nows a good time to get into it since web 2.0 sites are generally really simple and clean. The other aspect of it is the html. This is a markup language and consists of tags with content. Basically a bunch of boxes that you put text or pictures into or other boxes. No math involved (aside from measuring the spacing between boxes). For more advanced sites some javascript may be in order to do things like mouse overs, but is not really neccessary.

If you find all that easy enough to figure out, you can start looking into programming languages like php with a mysql database to have dynamic content. There are plenty of open source systems that do these kind of things already that you can integrate into your webpages.

Again there are tons of tutorials online to do all this. Programming is more logic based then mathamatical. Like "if this is the case, do this, otherwise do this." or "while this is true, do this" If you do get adventurous enough to look into web programming, I recomment php for server side scripting (what generates the webpage before it is downloaded to the users computer) and then JQuery for the interactions of the webpage. JQuery is just an open source javascript framework. no sence reinventing the wheel, unless you enjoy it :)

Most programmers I know seem to be aspies even if they don't realize it XD

Edit: To get an idea what html looks like right click anywhere on wrong planet and select "view source" or whatever similar option the browser you are using has.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:13 pm

You probably won't like this suggestion, but my solution has been to work in jobs where polite social interaction doesn't really happen. Like manual labor positions. I worked in a metal fab shop for 4 years, it was perfectly acceptable to say most anything, assuming you ever had time to even talk. Now I work in a barn, there are only 4 people there I see regularly. They get on me a little sometimes for some of my comments (I can't seem to help it), but they usually laugh it off.

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2008, 1:27 pm

If you have done nursing, how about doing the night shift?

It is possible to handle NT's, it depends on whether they are nice and if they can respect you for needing space and quiet around you, and that you are not rude in your mannerisms. Yes, you get those, especially in geeky type environments.

With your experience as a phlebotomist (confession: had to Google it...) how about going into lab work? Instead of drawing the blood, moving onto doing the analysis and stuff, lots of paperwork/computer work and lab work; and if you have seen the TV show Regenesis, you'll know an aspie fits right in ;)

Micze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 2:35 pm

Last edited by Micze on 07 Jun 2008, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:50 pm

Let me get this straight...

Experience / Qualifications:

-Floral Arranging
-Nursing
-Phlebotomist

Job Preferences:

-Little or no human contact.
-Little or no mathematics.
-Work from home.

Limitations:

-Chest Pains.
-Chronic Anxiety (Always nervous and upset)
-G.E.R.D.
-Irritable Bowel Syndrome (?).
-Weight Gain.

Have you considered a career as a Medical Transcriptionist? All you have to do is read the physician's scrawls and enter them into an on-line medical file.

Honestly, programming may not be for you, as it involves math or its close cousin logic. A programmer is constrianed by programming rules, as well as those imposed by other people. Besides, the comic strip "Dilbert" is a fairly accurate representation of the programmer's business life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cursed_brunette

06 Jun 2008, 4:39 pm

Fnord wrote:

-Floral Arranging
-Nursing
-Phlebotomist
Actually I have many more qualifications, I have been a bookkeeper, a receptionist, title clerk , a bartender (w/ liquid courage as my back bone), in home Federally Registered Certified DayCare Provider, a telephone operator, an insurance adjuster, a customer service rep. .Some of this experience comes from working though a temp agency when I was younger as I didn't know what I wanted to do The rest either didn't pay enough or I moved away with my military husband.

Job Preferences:
-Little or no human contact. ~ true ~ However, I do very well in buisness meetings.
-Little or no mathematics. ~ true ~ Although I haven't killed anyone with my drip calculations for the I.V.'s or my calculations for medication administration
-Work from home. ~ true

Limitations: These were developed (I believe) from continuously working with people. All but the weight gain has gone away since I have been home. And I have lost 15 lbs over the past month

-Chest Pains.
-G.E.R.D.
-Weight Gain.

Have you considered a career as a Medical Transcriptionist? All you have to do is read the physician's scrawls and enter them into an on-line medical file. #1) I need more of a challenge.

Honestly, programming may not be for you, as it involves math or its close cousin logic. I may not be mathematically inclined however, I am logical. Logic & mathematics do not go hand in hand...

A programmer is constrianed by programming rules which I can learn, as well as those imposed by other people. Besides, the comic strip "Dilbert" is a fairly accurate representation of the programmer's business life. Jeeze, I'll have to follow the comic strip to see what its about then.

Additionally, I am highly organized, very attentive to details, and enjoy learning among other things. I am polite, nice and do not have rude in my mannerisms.

Quite frankly my biggest problem is that I cannot deal with all the back biting and office politics.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:37 pm

cursed_brunette wrote:
Fnord wrote:

-Floral Arranging
-Nursing
-Phlebotomist
Actually I have many more qualifications, I have been a bookkeeper, a receptionist, title clerk , a bartender (w/ liquid courage as my back bone), in home Federally Registered Certified DayCare Provider, a telephone operator, an insurance adjuster, a customer service rep. .Some of this experience comes from working though a temp agency when I was younger as I didn't know what I wanted to do The rest either didn't pay enough or I moved away with my military husband.

Job Preferences:
-Little or no human contact. ~ true ~ However, I do very well in buisness meetings.
-Little or no mathematics. ~ true ~ Although I haven't killed anyone with my drip calculations for the I.V.'s or my calculations for medication administration
-Work from home. ~ true

Limitations: These were developed (I believe) from continuously working with people. All but the weight gain has gone away since I have been home. And I have lost 15 lbs over the past month

-Chest Pains.
-G.E.R.D.
-Weight Gain.

Have you considered a career as a Medical Transcriptionist? All you have to do is read the physician's scrawls and enter them into an on-line medical file. #1) I need more of a challenge.

Honestly, programming may not be for you, as it involves math or its close cousin logic. I may not be mathematically inclined however, I am logical. Logic & mathematics do not go hand in hand...

A programmer is constrianed by programming rules which I can learn, as well as those imposed by other people. Besides, the comic strip "Dilbert" is a fairly accurate representation of the programmer's business life. Jeeze, I'll have to follow the comic strip to see what its about then.

Additionally, I am highly organized, very attentive to details, and enjoy learning among other things. I am polite, nice and do not have rude in my mannerisms.

Quite frankly my biggest problem is that I cannot deal with all the back biting and office politics.

Actually, I have programmed in about every common language there is, and a few that aren't so common.

ASSEMBLY(PDP,VAX,8086,6502)
BASIC
C/C++
COBOL
DIBOL
FORTH
FORTRAN
JAVA
KORN
LISP
PASCAL
PERL
PHP
TCL

NONE really require a math background. And Logic and math are NOT related AT ALL! I have met people good at either one that weren't good at the other.

Dilbert IS very true to life, but it clearly shows how illogical managers and corporations are. ALSO, you don't see much math being discussed.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:58 pm

I'm a nurse too and find working very difficult. In fact, today I almost quit because at our staff meeting somebody I thought was my friend started verbally attacking me.

There are many different jobs for nurses. How about reviewing medical records for insurance companies or lawyers? Case managers don't have too much contact with people. Teaching? That's what I do and it works for me. I'm a nurse educator at a psych hospital. Clinical nursing instructor also was a lot of fun. Still have contact with people but only for short periods so relationships don't go south.

Good luck.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 8:15 pm

As much as you migth desire solitude, it is unhealthy unless you're a monk. It is best to force yourself to engage with people, with society, even if it's difficult.

I write and find myself in solitude quite a bit, writing. Yet, if I only did this, I would get depressed easily.

If you say to me, well, you're an NT, I would return with the notion that I do have some aspie traits (not an aspie) and I am drawn to a life of solitude because then I don't have to force myself to engage with others, listen to them, respond etc. It is tiring. But, in the end, it is important and not only do I gain something from it, the others I interact with need me and gain something too.

I would never want my son to be isolated. He craves interaction because he craves knowledge and he makes others smile (always has).

You all have something to offer other people, whether you believe it or not, so reach out. You can change professions, if you desire, but don't find one that doesn't include people!

The most uninteresting people, the most afraid, are the ones that hide from the world and live a life of solitude in the comfort of their safe zone, their homes.

Don't use autism as an excuse. Get out there and show the world what those with autism can do!

equinn

BattleCreekDavid

06 Jun 2008, 8:56 pm

What ever you do, stay away from multi-level martketing schemes like Amway/Alticore, Herbalife and others. You end up paying way more than you'll ever take in. That Crazy fox commercial is a lead in to Herbalife. Besides, you have to deal with people in those endeavors.