Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 11:52 pm

I know a lot of you are or used to be bullied, why not ever fight back? I did when I was little, and peple backed off. I suppose it could've been my size and the element of suprise in how fast I could sprint. I won most fights, and had a reputation. Living somewhere else now, where only people who invite bullying get it. My first thought when reading about bullies is why don't you ever fight back? People are telling the truth when they say that bullies are complete cowards. At least try manipulating and playing mind games, or torturing tham with pranks of some kind until thay stop bullying.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 12:01 am

The best mind game is to turn their insult back onto them... I remember once there was this joke, back when I was 8, where a guy would come up and say "Do you lick a d*ck a day?" really fast so you couldn't understand it... here's how it went:

Bully: Doyalikadikaday?
You: Huh?
Bully: Just say yes!
You: uh.... yes?
Bully: HA! You lick a d*ck a day! Ha ha ha!

This went on for two months until I coined onto it, and by then they did it at least twice daily, sometimes doing it again after about 5 minutes... anyway what I did was this:

Bully: Doyalikadikaday?
Me: No, but I lick a chair a day! Ha ha ha!
Bully: Eh... uh... what?

It stopped after two days, and I haven't heard it since.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 12:45 am

I fought back... Oh how I fought back... Got in trouble too (nothing serious)...

I'd lists my more severe retaliations, but I'd prefer not to give people bad ideas. Suffice to say, people didn't bully me very often. And toward the end when they did, all I needed to do was act all menancing and they'd back down.

GA

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2005, 5:30 am

Fighting back was never an option for me. I was terrified that it would merely escalate the situation even further. Plus voilence genuinely scares me, even when it comes from me - so I'm incapable of using it.

Sadly, little of the bullying directed towards me was of the verbal kind - that I could respond too. The physical bullying and intimidation that is hard to wise-crack your way out of.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 9:03 am

I was able to turn their insults around quite often and shove them back into their face, so after that, they'd generally leave me alone for a while. I've always been on the smaller side, so that's probably not such a great idea to fight back.

However, I did whack this kid on his head with my math book back in second or third grade. And got sent to the principal's office... what I didn't understand is why I got in trouble if he started it. :evil:

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 10:01 am

When I was in second grade, this annoying kid was poking me while I was trying to work. He just kept trying to distract me, and then when he started poking me eventually I punched him, because I hate being poked.
As soon as I did that, the teacher called us out into the hall for fighting.
Apparently she was oblivious to the fact that he had been bugging and taunting me for a good ten minutes while I was just trying to get my work done.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2005, 12:54 pm

When people poke me I react badly or insult me I react quite badly. For my life is litter with instnces in wher I've lost my temper and acted manically just because some one awas aggravating me.
But that then gets you called a 'pyscho', so I try not to. Often if you act like this people who you get angry with well turn it upon you and ridicule you because of your temper.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 3:33 pm

I did fight back but there was always too many of them.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 7:29 pm

ramsamsam wrote:
When people poke me I react badly or insult me I react quite badly. For my life is litter with instnces in wher I've lost my temper and acted manically just because some one awas aggravating me.
But that then gets you called a 'pyscho', so I try not to. Often if you act like this people who you get angry with well turn it upon you and ridicule you because of your temper.

I've had that myself. It got to the point where the kids would push my buttons to get me to react so they could watch. A counsellor helped me to control my anger and use it constructively. Eventually I was able to come up with wisecracks much quicker than I could if I wasn't angry. It took the wind right out of their jokes and they didn't like it. Two weeks later, they stopped doing it and it's been like that ever since. I've only had one crack since then, and I was genuinely ticked off about something...

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 7:29 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Apparently she was oblivious to the fact that he had been bugging and taunting me for a good ten minutes while I was just trying to get my work done.

Funny how they only pay attention when you do something wrong, eh?

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 11:18 pm

yeah, I think it is that the bully or antagonizer has a strategy.
Whereas I just got so irritated that I punched him without any regard for who might notice.
Oh and I forgot to mention, a couple years later when some kid was doing something similar I restrained my urge to punch him and eventually he lost interest. I was so proud, that I told my parents.
They said "you have to stand up for yourself"

The truth is I think you're better off fighting back and getting in trouble at school, or even getting beat up. At least you learn to fight a little, and you might gain a reputation that keeps people from messing with you so much.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2005, 3:54 pm

i could never really stand up for myself. i'm on the small and shy side. besides, no one would dare beat me up - we don't get those kinds of fights here. they are all about online harassment and taunting and that kinda stuff - no physical fights.

also, our school is so small and its so much like a private school that they would SURELY get suspended. besides, people leave me alone now so its all good!

what do you guys like to do about verbal abuse?

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2005, 6:13 pm

Some guy in the lunch line today grabbed me by the sleeve and started saying something, I didn't pay attention. I just gave him my "let go before I break your jaw" look and wrestled my arm free. Really put a poostain on an otherwise nice day.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 12:01 am

I just used my pateneted "leave me the Hell alone" look. I sit alone on the bus a lot because of that look. :D A lot of guys have this playful, prankster way of being friendly. They really do, just observe enough and you might understand. I've learaned that if any of these type of people mess with me, I just give them my look and sometimes ask them to stop in my stern voice. When I want to, I can be a pretty scary guy.

hidoko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2005, 10:41 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
I just used my pateneted "leave me the Hell alone" look. I sit alone on the bus a lot because of that look. :D .

Hehe! I also have that look. Sometimes they'll visibly back off. Apparently I've been scary to people so some people started calling me "Witch". :D So I didnt get bullied.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 1:18 am

I have never got into a physical altercation, altho several verbal ones. when i try to fight back, they just laugh at me.