Question about Aspergean obsessive interests

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:28 pm

I was discussing this subject with a friend the other day and he said that the only reason aspies acquire encyclopedic knowledge of their narrow fields of interest is because deep inside they know they are defective, so they learn a few 'parlor tricks' to compensate for their deficiencies.

As an aspie with obsessive interests, do you agree with what my friend said?

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2008, 9:35 pm

Hi,
I can only answer as a parent of two on the spectrum, but for my oldest I say no way. I don't know how he could of figured out parlor tricks under the age of 2 lol.

Lainie

BeeBee23
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2008, 9:45 pm

I'd say no, IMHO.
I find myself drawn to a particular subject, and its almost like I get this thirst and i want to drink up as much information as I can, then I usually move on to the next thing.
I have no desire to talk to people about these interests unless they ask me, and THATS when I won't shut up! :P
I do not see why anyone would go to that much effort just for the sake of trying to impress somebody.
I obsess over things because I am obsessive. I'm not really sure why that is. Its certainly not to compensate for anything. Its about my own personal satisfaction, nothing more.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 10:07 pm

BeeBee23 wrote:
I'd say no, IMHO.
I find myself drawn to a particular subject, and its almost like I get this thirst and i want to drink up as much information as I can, then I usually move on to the next thing.
I have no desire to talk to people about these interests unless they ask me, and THATS when I won't shut up! :P
I do not see why anyone would go to that much effort just for the sake of trying to impress somebody.
I obsess over things because I am obsessive. I'm not really sure why that is. Its certainly not to compensate for anything. Its about my own personal satisfaction, nothing more.

I totally agree. It's like an impulse that takes over and just makes that interest mean everything to you. Although, I do get urges to share my obsessions with others. My family knows much more about my obsessions than they'll ever need to.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2008, 11:16 pm

quirky wrote:
BeeBee23 wrote:
I'd say no, IMHO.

I totally agree. It's like an impulse that takes over and just makes that interest mean everything to you. Although, I do get urges to share my obsessions with others. My family knows much more about my obsessions than they'll ever need to.

Not much to add because these comments really sum it up for me. However, I also love learning about my interests in a way that pales in comparison to a hobby. I can't imagine why people just don't like thinking, because I can't imagine not wanting to think. It's not a way to compensate (and what a rude thing for someone to say to you!) as BeeBee23 said. It's a way for me to enjoy life, a mental fuel that keeps me going.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

06 Aug 2008, 11:37 pm

In order for us to do something that obsessive and ridiculous for the sole purpose of pleasing others, we would all have to be NT. Many of them seem to have the special interest to please everyone else.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2008, 11:41 pm

I obsess because I can not help but to become immensely interested in. I resent people who think I am defective, I am not defective, I just do things different. I love knowledge, and I love learning things about what I am interested in. To me, it does not matter what others think. I am obsessed with things that some people do not know I am interested in because they do not need to know.

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2008, 12:15 am

BeeBee23 wrote:

quirky wrote:
I totally agree. It's like an impulse that takes over and just makes that interest mean everything to you.

You both nailed it...I don't choose to obsess and acquire encyclopedic knowledge - the subject just captures me and I can't move on until I have plumbed the depths of it.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 4:35 am

I like something, think its the greatest thing in the world and have to know everything about it.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2008, 5:01 am

BeeBee23 wrote:
I'd say no, IMHO.

Brilliantly put!

I feel exactly the same, and I derive a great deal of pleasure from absorbing information on the things I'm interested in. It makes me feel whole, it's like filling a hungry tummy with food.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 9:46 am

The obsessions are endorphin releasers. I feel happiest when I am very obsessed with something and even better when I tell someone else what I know.

My hope is that they view me as a know-it-all-type. My desire is to woo them with my knowledge, wow them with my intellectual prowess, shock them with my abilities.

It's like being an intellectual athlete.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 10:12 am

I'd say no. I'm interested in a vast range of subjects and have been since I was a child. I don't have the narrow obsessions that seem to be common to a lot of aspies. I don't research cetacean intelligence or the history of Venice for anyone else's benefit or to compensate for any deficits I may have. I do it because I enjoy learning, it gives me intense and lasting pleasure to learn new things.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 11:15 am

To all the good responses, I'll add, your friends theory very much does not fit with what I've read about autism as Asperger's.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 11:54 am

OK, my parlor tricks have been pretty profitable! Two of my interests are electronics and COMPUTERS! I started looking at computers around 1971. I later saw the Mark-8 come out which was the cover product on radio electronics around 1974. I read the WHOLE SCHEMATIC! Oh yeah, did I mention that I was only about 11 when that magazine hit the stands?

So how old is your friend? Could HE read schematics when he was like 5, and has HE read computer schematics? Does HE program computers well, etc....

Yep, that is some parlor trick! I doubt any of us thought about them as such.

KaneR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2008, 12:39 pm

I completely disagree with that. I have obsessions over birthdays and dates. I think aspies normally have obsessions to deal with the stress they undergo. This side tracks them from what they don't really want to believe.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I was discussing this subject with a friend the other day and he said that the only reason aspies acquire encyclopedic knowledge of their narrow fields of interest is because deep inside they know they are defective, so they learn a few 'parlor tricks' to compensate for their deficiencies.

As an aspie with obsessive interests, do you agree with what my friend said?

Absolutely not. My obsessions aren't "parlor tricks" and I don't choose them. I'm curious by default and I tend to accumulate large amounts of information because I find it interesting. Why are people so suspicious of that? It's not possible to legitimately want to learn something?

And if I wanted "parlor tricks" there are far better (and easier) ones to acquire than my knowledge of minutiae in random subjects.