Could this be why relationships are so hard these days?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 5:28 pm

I came across this article while perusing the Psychology Today site. Yeah I'm weird and read medical articles all day. But the articles seems to explain exactly why, at least in my town, that people are having trouble finding love, dates or a relationship. I have come to know numerous friends and co-workers who take SSRI's. It seems all folks of all age groups, gay or straight and Aspie and NT alike are all having troubles with relationships unlike older generations. Its really huge here how so many people are unmarried or if dating are always fighting. This may explain why:

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto ... 00003.html

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 5:33 pm

SSRIs (at a VERY low dosage) made me almost 100 % emotionally flat / numb, giving me a sense of complete indifference for what happened around me, but I don't think SSRIs are the cause of the high rate of relationships failure, they are more likely the remedy.

Last edited by Rainbow-Squirrel on 23 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa81
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 5:33 pm

cause people are ****ed

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:30 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
SSRIs (at a VERY low dosage) made me almost 100 % emotionally flat / numb, giving me a sense of complete indifference for what happened around me, but I don't think SSRIs are the cause of the high rate of relationships failure, they are more likely the remedy.

If something causes a person to feel emotionally flat and numb how could it possibly be a remedy to having a successful, happy relationship?

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 9:12 pm

I had a similar experience on a small dosage of an SSRI.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 9:12 pm

I think the older generation had more pressure to stay in relationships regardless of happiness. Divorce had a stigma and was wispered about like some sort of disease. It is much more accepted today. I've been married seventeen years and see us being the old decrepit couple, but then again neither of us take meds...so what do I know.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:51 pm

I wonder if it's cos people these days have had too many sex partners.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 12:20 am

No, it's because nowadays people only fall inlove with MONEY and STATUS.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 2:32 am

Yea, so they can get more sex.

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2008, 2:52 am

When i first went on an SSRI i went through a period where i didn't have much of a sex drive and couldn't reach and orgasm to save my life, but it went away.

I don't think this the problem over all though. I know lots of people who aren't on any medications who can't maintain a relationship to save their lives. People "fall in love" for the wrong reasons. And when the initial lust wears off they aren't willing or able to work though the problems that turn up.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 4:44 am

Ticker wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:

If something causes a person to feel emotionally flat and numb how could it possibly be a remedy to having a successful, happy relationship?

No, what I meant is: AFTER a relationship is failed, SSRIs, eliminating/reducing the negative feelings, can definitely help you cope.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm

Wondering if it might be part of a larger scale phenomenon. It would fit. An overall trend in our culture where everything turns over faster and faster.

Something like a radioactive half life, the time it takes for half of the material in a substance to be transformed, and then for half of what remains to be transformed, until there's essentially nothing left of what was there before.

The half life of most everything keeps getting shorter.

How many years do most people spend living in the same house nowadays, or in the same town? How long does it take a new computer to become obsolete?

It starts in early childhood. Anybody remember Pokemon?

The individual human consciousness persists as a stable entity, but it floats through a world where little is fixed and stable, and what is fixed and stable is rarely of much significance.

It would be surprising if romantic relationships swam upstream against this flood current that rips everything else loose and sweeps it along.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

DWill
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2008, 2:52 pm

Oh I was thinking about this the other day. Great article!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

Yes, Pobodys_Nerfect ... sex is EEEEEVIIIILLL!! !

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 4:51 pm

I was wondering about this the other day, why finding dates/relationships seem so difficult these days. (I'm not looking for one but I know a few divorcees who are) Maybe off topic re SSRI's but I thought it was kinda interesting - I was reading the lonely hearts column in our local paper (do they still call them that, lonely hearts?) Anyhow, what struck me is how hyper-fussy some people are. "Must be financially secure, own house, car, :money: tall, slim, non-smoker, sense of humour, well-educated"... blah de blah de blah. Some of them sound more like criteria for job applications. Are people not willing to take a chance on anything, meeting someone who might be, heaven forbid, broke (but possibly interesting?) Perhaps they need a more adventurous attitude? :chin: Their ideal partner might turn out to be not at all what kind of person they thought they wanted.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:20 pm

Starr wrote:
I was wondering about this the other day, why finding dates/relationships seem so difficult these days. (I'm not looking for one but I know a few divorcees who are) Maybe off topic re SSRI's but I thought it was kinda interesting - I was reading the lonely hearts column in our local paper (do they still call them that, lonely hearts?) Anyhow, what struck me is how hyper-fussy some people are. "Must be financially secure, own house, car, :money: tall, slim, non-smoker, sense of humour, well-educated"... blah de blah de blah. Some of them sound more like criteria for job applications. Are people not willing to take a chance on anything, meeting someone who might be, heaven forbid, broke (but possibly interesting?) Perhaps they need a more adventurous attitude? :chin: Their ideal partner might turn out to be not at all what kind of person they thought they wanted.

As a broke but possibly interesting person I agree! :lol: