Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:38 pm

How does everyone else get along with children (under the age of 10)?

I'm surprised at how well I get along with children in my job. I had no prior experiences with children. I figured I'd be horrid because everybody is talking about how experience with children and learning methods to treat them is of utmost importance (I had none of that). But I naturally get along very well with all children, so with both the regular ed and the special ed children.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:42 pm

I don't get along with the, they make way to much noise, they like to touch without permission, and all that stuff. I avoid kids they drive me nuts, I have actually locked myself in the bathroom to get away from them, kids love me but I don't love them.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:58 pm

I don't like kids, unless they're quiet and not bothering me.
I don't even like puppies, for the same reason.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:07 pm

I can interact with younglings (i.e., if I see a baby/child looking at me, I smile and wave to them), and I can interact with my nephew without problem (4), but my brother-in-law (who I am older than by...a couple of years), no way.

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2008, 1:17 pm

I do fine with one at a time, especially if they're different in some way. If they're strictly NT, muggle, whatever the heck you want to call it I probably won't connect. I tend to treat them as people until they prove differently. Otherwise, I'd really rather not. My daughter's classroom always seems noisy to me even if the kids are just sitting there. For me, most children are young primates. If they've gained that bit of awareness that makes them something other than that I connect rather well. We know each other.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:22 pm

Wherever I go, I draw kids to me like a magnet, we're just on a par. They love,I l ove them. I taught children art and English (6-7 year olds) but they sapped me of energy. But older ones I taught gave me much energy back in return!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:28 pm

I think anyone with an ASD can get along with kids as long as the kids' parents are SUPPORTIVE of the person with the ASD. If the kids' parents are comfortable, the kid will be but if the parents are paranoid and worrying constantly about the interaction of their child with the person who has an ASD the experience will most likely be a negative one for all involved. Kids, like people with ASDs soak up other's states of mind like sponges.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:47 pm

Kids scare me. They're far to random, loud and fast. There's a girl in my son's preschool class that runs up and hugs my legs when we drop him off. It really freaks me out. I can't imagine what he thinks there, I just hope he gets along with them better than I do.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:52 pm

Mage, ever think about discussing that with the teacher or saying to the child:

"Sweety,
could you please not run up and hug my legs? Thank you."

Be really nice and tell someone you do not like that.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:59 pm

Mage wrote:
Kids scare me. They're far to random, loud and fast. There's a girl in my son's preschool class that runs up and hugs my legs when we drop him off. It really freaks me out. I can't imagine what he thinks there, I just hope he gets along with them better than I do.

you're tall, a leg is something he can grab on to, he just wants to hug you and feel connected, that's all. Nothing scary

Last edited by Loborojo on 29 Aug 2008, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 2:09 pm

Im connected with my own kids and I do get excited by tiny babies (animal and human alike) but I avoid most other kids just as I do their parents. Most people tend to make me nervous.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2008, 2:16 pm

I get along better with kids than most NTs. I was actually surprised at this. Not the fact that I got along well with kids, but the extent to which I truely enjoyed working with them every day. Working for the school district was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever held.

Pops

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Aug 2008, 2:17 pm

i hate kids, but mostly because i have no control or authority over them. they yell and invade my personal space, and i am supposed to smile and act like that is ok, when it's not and i hate it. i hate most kids because of their bad parents.

however, if i am in the position of teacher or babysitter, then i do ok. i am allowed to tell them no, and that it is not adorable to wipe snot all over people. if they are yelling and upset, it seems like i usually notice WHY before other adults.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 2:44 pm

I love my own kids but I don't care for other people's kids (unless they are older). And I don't like babies and toddlers... I know this sounds terrible but when my kids were babies, I took care of them and forced myself to play with them obviously but I hated the phase and couldn't wait until they got older and grew out of it. My kids are still pretty young but luckily they keep growing and growing which I like. I wanted kids all along and always knew they would grow up, grow out of babyhood and toddlerhood. After my son was born however, I couldn't stand the idea of having to ever care for a baby again so I had my tubes tied. The best decision that I made! My daughter is at a pretty good age now. Same goes for puppies. I will NEVER get a puppy.. my parents have a puppy and I thank my lucky stars it's not me that has to take care of it. If I decide get a dog in the future, I will only get a dog that is at least 2 years old.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:02 pm

have little to no problem with 'kids'

then again I'm 17 :P

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:41 pm

If there's any age group at all I interact the best with, it's babies. I've always been that way and I don't know why. And parents have spontaneously told me they've never seen their babies react as well to a new person as they do to me, so apparently it's not my imagination. My mother always arranged for me to play with other people's babies because I got along so well and without as many social problems.

I think when kids get older than infancy they get into far more complicated games, and social stuff, and so they tend to vary as much as adults do in terms of how they react to me. I remember when I was 18 or so I watched someone else my age babysit for older children, and she was very adept at figuring out the flow of pretend games and going along with them, even when they took seemingly bizarre and improbable directions all of a sudden. I was impressed but knew I could not do that.

I have never really had to relate to children-as-a-group since I was one, though, because most places are not as relentlessly and artificially age-separated as schools are.