Walking bend over (mostly watching feet)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:51 am

As the title said i've always walked bended over well last years i have been training to walk straight (altough im refalling a little bit)
It whas goddamn hard and no one ever understanded why i did it everyone tought i whas sad or just an idiot (to say it without bad words)
Mostly i watched at my feet, i also wonderd how your even able to walk so straight altough now i wonder why you could walk so low (as i did)
anyone els have this (well i shoulnd't ask this it feels so different that it deffinetly must have to do with autism)

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2008, 9:58 am

Yes, I do the same. Or I did at least, since as you I tried to be more conscious about my posture. And I did some Yoga years ago, which helped a lot.
In addition I have a slightly strange walking style. When watching me from the side, I do something wrong with my legs. Can't tell for sure, what exactly. I think it's that I somehow more fall forward than really walking :? But that too disappeared mostly, when I started to walk more upright.

I'm not sure why I do/did this. Maybe it's just I'm born that way.
Maybe I took my parents to literal, when they told me to watch where I walk.
But most likely it's just to avoid eye contact by looking down on the street all the time.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 10:01 am

Oh absolutely. I did that for most of my life. I make a concerted effort not to do it anymore...but then again I'm forty, so things have changed alot for me since I was younger.

But yes, I definately did that. All the time.

theotherle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2008, 10:01 am

I look at my feet because if I don't I tend to trip over things. Actually, I seem to trip even when I do look.

d1ng0d0g
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2008, 10:22 am

I always look as if i'm looking for quarters. But that might have something to do with the fact that I am also quite tall. I also lift up my shoulders a little.

But I only do this walk when I am fairly relaxed. When stressed, I straighten my back, straighten my neck, look straight ahead, and my attention is focussed on how I walk, and what happens in front of me. In that "mode" if people don't move aside quickly enough, I will walk all over them.

I actually do have a lot of these shifts in posture depending on the emotional or mental state I am in.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2008, 10:27 am

I've always watched my feet. People complain about it. It never occurred to me it might have something to do with AS.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 10:32 am

Yes I used to when I was a child. I was always the one who spotted money and other goodies on the ground 8)

These days I suppose I look all over the place, depending on the environment. I guess I'm scanning for obstacles which life has taught me can be almost anywhere. In my experience the human race is mostly very poor at keeping gangways clear.

bunny-in-the-moon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2008, 10:44 am

I wouldn't be able to walk in a straight line even if someone paid me :) .

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 10:58 am

Yeah, I did that as a kid all the time. Totally sensory overload if I had looked up while I went - I couldn't walk and take in and process the visual information at the same time.

This sensory problem solved itself throughout the years, I now can look up and walk at the same time like other people.

MadAme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2008, 11:38 am

I have many childhood and young adult memories of adults taking hold of my shoulders and pulling them upward. (That's right, without first asking permission to touch me.) I have an adult memory of a teacher in beauty school telling me "Pick your head up, stop looking at the floor." Then after I made a conscious effort to pick my head up (at least in front of her), she said, "Look at you, you're so rigid. Slump a little, like the rest of us!" I said, "I did, you didn't like the way I slumped!" "How do you slump?" FLOP went my head, to look at the floor.

eman_ekaf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2008, 12:07 pm

I walk looking down, but I don't bend over much. I just look down becuase I need to watch where my feet are going. I tend to trip over invisible potholes and blades of grass, so i see exactly where I put my foot.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 1:03 pm

I suppose subconsciously I probably do it to avoid eye contact, but consciously I do it to prevent myself from tripping over things as often.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 1:14 pm

I'm always looking at my feet, and I frequently bend to the left when I walk without realizing it. In any case I can't maintain a straight line.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 2:34 pm

I always walk looking down at my feet. If I didn't I'd be falling into holes and tripping over speed bumps in the grocery store parking lot. I've tried walking in the normal fashion but that way of walking makes me dizzy.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2008, 3:38 pm

Yes. I walk like that, always have. Slumped, slightly hunched and looking down when I walk. I can stand straight and look forward if I consciously think about it, but, after only a few minutes I forget to stand straight and go right back to my usual posture and walk. I agree about finding a lot of change on the ground and also I spot a lot of nice bird feathers which I collect.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 4:44 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
Yes. I walk like that, always have. Slumped, slightly hunched and looking down when I walk. I can stand straight and look forward if I consciously think about it, but, after only a few minutes I forget to stand straight and go right back to my usual posture and walk. I agree about finding a lot of change on the ground.

SAME HERE!