Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2008, 11:15 am

I tend to have mini meltdowns if i dont get more than 90% on a test.

I know what ur thinking, hes crazy, maybe ur right

Anyone else who HAS to be perfect all the time and feels bad if they arent perfect?

And is this a common trait in ASD people?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:20 am

I don't know about all Aspies, but it sums me up very good.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:24 am

Perfectionism made my life in public school hell. But I finally got used to not being perfect. Most of the time.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:50 am

When it's about grades I was never very motivated. Until 5th grade I didn't mind nor knew now understood the significance and meaning of my grades and after that I was only getting Es and Fs, which kinda stopped every sense of perfectionism about grades before it had the chance to start.

eman_ekaf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2008, 12:03 pm

Yes. I recently (Monday) got a 93 on a Latin test. It's one of two grades below a 100, the other being a 98. I thought I was going to freak out right then and there. I am not happy with low grades, I want to get into a good college. I think one reason I worry so much is this: Schoolwork takes the place of friendships for me (I fail at making friends) and I try to do everything possible to maintain a high GPA. I guess I am afraid of losing the only thing that has meaning to me. If I lose the grades, it's like an NT losing all of their friends.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 12:05 pm

Yeah, I was a perfectionist in school. I felt like I was worthless if I got less than a 95, was only happy if I got 100 percent.

KiyokosOnlyOnigiri
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2008, 1:00 pm

Yeah, I can agree with the perfectionism trait... every time I try to draw a picture, it's constantly erased 5 billion times over before actually being finished. And when people point out flaws in it, then it's redone.

It's a very vicious cycle.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 1:06 pm

I agree has to be 100% Have never completed a task to satisfaction, always something I may have missed or could have improved. Perfectionism is certainly a burden, could not share work or write down thoughts until I had formulated an adaquate sentence, which rarely happend. Tests were better as they pressure you to respond and there is no choice as to whether it is marked. When I failed royally and left University, I was able to begin writing my thoughts down, and I now keep a journal.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 1:41 pm

I was, but it died out by about age 7, after which I progressively quit caring about more and more stuff.
It got to the point where getting an A or a D was all the same to me, it's still passing, what more do you want? Yes, I was a bad student.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 1:49 pm

As it applies to school (which was a very, VERY long time ago for me) I was anything but a perfectionsist except in the areas I had an interest. I failed in math but expected (and got) perfect scores in music and architecture.

I have carried this trait right into my overly-dysfunctional adulthood. I will obsess over my current art project until I scream in frustration. But other things can completely fall apart and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

Perfectionism is a big big problem which many aspies have.

You need to work on it because otherwise it will cause BIG problems in your life down the track. Perfectionism is one of the top causes of depression in aspies.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:00 pm

I'm a serial perfectionist. I'd rather not be as it leads me down the road of 'all or nothing', I'm scared to attempt new things incase I fail, the things I do don't seem good enough - because of it I'm usually dissatisfied as a result.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:12 pm

I have learned not to be such a perfectionist. As a kid into adulthood, it was either all or nothing.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:16 pm

I didn't realize how much of a perfectionist I was until recently. I never even considered it because I always felt like such a failure... Really wasn't aware of it, but the little things do add up to me.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:29 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
I'm a serial perfectionist. I'd rather not be as it leads me down the road of 'all or nothing', I'm scared to attempt new things incase I fail, the things I do don't seem good enough - because of it I'm usually dissatisfied as a result.

That is very much me. I often go into a project assuming it will be my next masterpiece. Not because I'm "that good" but because that is my level of expectation. Often times I will paralyze myself from doing anything for fear that my masterpiece mentality will not be fullfilled.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:32 pm

nothingunusual wrote:

That is very much me. I often go into a project assuming it will be my next masterpiece. Not because I'm "that good" but because that is my level of expectation. Often times I will paralyze myself from doing anything for fear that my masterpiece mentality will not be fullfilled.