Songs that bare an incredible likeness to each other...

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2005, 5:22 am

It has come to my attention that alot of songs share an uncanny likeness and I thought it'd be fun to see what songs you think sound alike.
First-up take New Orders 'Blue Monday' and 'The Cure' 'The Walk'. Initially The Cure song was considered to be a rip-off of the former. On hearing this news I became confused, as they didn't sound all that familiar- asside from the octave pattern played on the synthesiser.
I think a better comparission of the Cure single would be Blurs song 'Girls And Boys'.
Primarily because Damon Albarn to me sounds uncanilly like Robert Smith and it shares the samey octave pattern again.
Do you think similiarities like these are conicidence or intentional?

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 2:56 pm

Alot of songs start with a basic riff or lead. If you play guitar or piano (like I do) you can learn a basic melody (say a basic blues riff) and the same chords can be played with quite a few songs.

I think that it's mostly conicidence (as most musicians do not wish to be sued for ripping off someone else's song). I think if a musician or band is inspired by a certain group or musician, they tend to sound very similar to their inspiration. Example; Although I love Led Zeppelin, they ripped ALOT of their songs from, old traditional blues songs...I still love them though.

My son and I play a game with songs that sound like other songs...trying to think of as many songs as we can that go with the beat or rhythm of the song being played on the radio.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 3:19 pm

hmm... a lot of emo sounds alike. also franz ferdinand and the kaiser chiefs do as well, though franz is better

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2005, 5:57 pm

its actually true that older emo sounds alike, and even the newer poppy stuff sounds even MORE alike.

you wanna hear a bunch of similar songs? listen to traditional grindcore ;)

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2005, 6:40 pm

There's a bit of a similarity between Huey Lewis' "I Want A New Drug" and the "Theme from Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr.

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2005, 4:29 am

has anyone ever heard the Nickleback version of "Someday" and "How You Remind Me" mixed together and played each on one speaker, called "How You Remind Me Of Someday"? i dont feel like looking for a link, but it's pretty funny. the songs are almost exactly the same.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2005, 12:42 am

Every Creed song sounds like every Creed song. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, every popular Creed song sounds like every popular Creed song.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2005, 1:12 am

Relyt wrote:
has anyone ever heard the Nickleback version of "Someday" and "How You Remind Me" mixed together and played each on one speaker, called "How You Remind Me Of Someday"? i dont feel like looking for a link, but it's pretty funny. the songs are almost exactly the same.

Yeah I heard it. Every Nickleback song is the same song with different words. That's why they suck.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2005, 11:23 am

metallica's four horsemen and megadeth's mechanix

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2005, 1:39 am

Sorry to dive straight into the deep end, but Bjork's Pluto and Where is the Line? are very similar.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2005, 1:44 am

Relyt wrote:

That's what I came in here to post.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2005, 7:17 am

Franz Ferdinand and The Kaiser are very different if you askl me. Franz Ferdinand have a more trashy sound.

'Rusholme Ruffians' by The Smiths apparently sounds like 'Maria the name' by Elvis. Once I heard about the comparrision I could kinda hear it.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 10:19 am

How about: Mechanix - Megadeth and The Four Horseman - Metallica? :P
OMG ignore that I'm having a bad day that's already been said :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 9:48 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
Every Creed song sounds like every Creed song. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, every popular Creed song sounds like every popular Creed song.

The same thing can also be said about The Ramones.... But they only got monotonous after Too Tough To Die.

SuXEed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2006, 4:24 am

its hard to say Bullets and that 'hold me now, I'm 6 feet from the edge and im thinking' song sound the same.
most grindcore songs.
songs from our lady peace's new album
The starting guitar to Jet's song (called something along the lines of 'be my girl) totally rips off the starting guitar to Iggy Pop's Lust For Life.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2006, 2:23 pm

ramsamsam wrote:

'Rusholme Ruffians' by The Smiths apparently sounds like 'Maria the name' by Elvis. Once I heard about the comparrision I could kinda hear it.

On The Smiths' LP, "Rank" - a recording of a live show - the group play "Marie's the name" and "Rushole Ruffians" together as a medley.

Also, The Smiths song "Panic" sounds very similar to "Metal Guru" by T-Rex, a fact the group acknowledged.