Lord of the Rings Online - anyone play?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2008, 6:04 pm

I've been meaning to get the Lord of the Rings Online game for ages now and finally got it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm loving it. Can't wait to get volume 2 the Mines of Moria and go exploring the mines and right over to Lothlorien. But I have a long way to go yet with the initial game.

So, anyone else play it? How you getting on with it? What are the Mines of Moria like?

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2008, 2:32 pm

My biggest problem with LOTRO is the lack of PVP. There's "monster play" which is kind of like PVP but not. If I wasn't so heavily into PVP I'd play LOTRO. It really is a wonderful MMO.

The former things have passed away."

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2008, 2:48 pm

Is PVP player verses player? (i just Googled it)

What is it about that your like - I have to say I'm not sure what counts as player verses player. Is it where you're in direct competition with other players to do things so you fight them etc?

There are options to fight with other players at any time your want, though I've not done that yet.

I had a quick look at Monster play - got some great big Uruk creature, but not really seen what it's all about yet :)

Have to say I'm really enjoying the game though. Made it through to the Barrow Downs and in to Buckland on the edge of the Shire today. Haven't gone any further West yet though.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2008, 3:09 pm

Yup. Player versus player combat. Instead of attacking computer-controlled opponents you're attacking player-controlled. Human intelligence is a huge part of what makes PVP fun because it's never predictable. You could be fighting against two players of the same class and one is REALLY good and the other is REALLY awful. Then of course you need to know your class very well to survive as best you can so there's a high degree of strategy and thinking.

Do you attack the group over here or wait for reinforcements to arrive?
Do you rush in to try an capture the flag solo or do you scout the area for your side?
Do you search the area for cloaked players before doing anything or do you feel confident to proceed forward?
etc... etc...

All those questions come to your mind quickly and you have to make split-second decisions to stay alive while trying to win one for your side.

PVP is broken down into three main categories...

Chaotic Good
This is where everyone agrees to PVP and is done on a large epic scale such as a battleground or an arena

Chaotic Neutral
Players will occasionally attack another player, usually 10 or more levels lower, for no other reason than because it makes the attacker feel better. However the Attacker does this once, maybe twice, then goes about their business. This happens frequently on PVP servers. Chaotic Neutral also occurs when you attack the other sides cities and try and KILL every player and NPC in it. Raiding a city is a fun exercise in survival-skills because not only are you being attacked by players but also by the city guards; more than a few are "elites".

Chaotic Bad
This is when a player will attack the same player over and over and over again to the point where the one being attacked has to call for help. On a PVP server there are roaming bands of players who come to the aid of lower-leveled players when their corpse is being camped.

My brand of PVP is Chaotic Good and very occasionally Chaotic Neutral. Here's a video of my level 73 Death Knight attacking Valiance Keep in Wrath of the Lich King beta. I would definitely call this Chaotic Neutral :)
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15602270bgRM5DcY?rank=4&

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2008, 3:32 pm

Ah right. Super. Sounds very different to LOTRO :)

And not the sort of game I'd like...I like stuff where you choose who to fight and when rather than risk being attacked by anyone anywhere.

When i played a little bit of Runescape I tended to avoid the areas where other players could freely attack you...

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2008, 3:54 pm

Dogtanian wrote:
And not the sort of game I'd like...I like stuff where you choose who to fight and when rather than risk being attacked by anyone anywhere.

There are PVE servers. You have to consent to PVP. Anyhow if you like LOTRO then stay with it. It's a great game too! Wait until you get to Bree. ;)

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2008, 4:32 pm

I will stick with it. It's nice to really be in to a game again. It's been a while since I've played computer games properly.

I just worry I'll spend too much time on it now. I've spent the best part of this weekend and last weekend playing it and will likely do so on any free weekends for some time.

And I've already been to Bree - great place and amazing town. I've never seen such a large town to perfectly created in a game before.

I'm sure that one day they will bring out an expansion that lets you go down to Rohan and Gondor - what will the cities be like there? Can you imagine if they build in the whole of Minas Tirith for you to go explore?