Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DanasSoliloquy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 2:00 pm

Do you find you need things to be in a certain way, or a certain order?

For example if I have a row of Mars chocolate bars on a table, I MUST arrange them so that they are all horizontal, or if I have an assortment of chocolate bars, in height order.
I also have a strange obsession with pencils; I cannot use ordinary HB pencils, I must draw with Papermate Nonstops. I have a fixation that it is terrible to draw with ordinary pencils and cannot get the thought out of my head.

Also, if an object is moved and I have gotten used to it being in a certain position, it drives me crazy.

Do you also find these things to be true?

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:09 pm

Oh yes....
I have what I termed: Selectively Random OCD.
The towels in the bathroom must be folded in a certain way and arranged in a certain order that is both aesthetically pleasing as well as balanced. I have taken to doing that in the bathrooms of friends' homes when I'm visiting.
We bought a black chandalier about a month ago. All the baubles hung from metal rings. The contrast of the gorgeous black chandalier and those hideous metal rings made me wince every time I looked at it. I eventually bought black vinyl-coated wire from a craft sore and remounted every single bauble with new rings and hooks- all in black so they matched. It took like 6 hours. My partner thought I had lost my mind.
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the things I obsess over.

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 2:15 pm

Let's not mention what my girlfriend must have thought when she helped me move in to my new flat and we started to hanf my shirts up.

I didn't ask her to make sure she button the same two buttons up on each shirt and then make sure she put them all in the wardrobe hanging the same way. I then didn't change the buttons fastend on a couple of them and take a couple of shirts back out and hang then up the correct way...nope, not at all...

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:23 pm

I need to have all my clothes laid out on the bed in the morning (afternoon--whenever I get up) in a particular way before I get into the shower so that I know what I'm going to wear that day.

I tried to stop doing this, thinking it was silly, but then I found that I'd pace around naked for 20-30 minutes before I could finally start to get dressed.

Now I know it's crazy, because I know where the underwear and socks are, and the closet is right there as well--everything is where it ought to be--but it just doesn't work out that way.

Whereas if everything is already ready, I can start getting dressed as soon as I've dried off. If I have to make any last-minute changes (e.g., because a shirt is missing a button), it's hell.

I think maybe the shower makes me stupid. :)

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 2:28 pm

I am only that way about my furniture and its arrangement in my home. But then, it's a practical matter, as I see it.

From the outside observer's viewpoint, it only appears odd. And when no one ASKS why . . . then yeah, I'm weird.

:roll:

Daniel41149512
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 2:46 pm

Exactly the same here. If THE ORDER is disrupted it is like a personal insult that must be avenged.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:49 pm

Dogtanian wrote:
I didn't ask her to make sure she button the same two buttons up on each shirt and then make sure she put them all in the wardrobe hanging the same way. I then didn't change the buttons fastend on a couple of them and take a couple of shirts back out and hang then up the correct way...nope, not at all...

Here I thought Aspies couldn't lie... :wink:

And I'm certain that you didn't make sure the hangers were evenly spaced either.

I bet we could have an entire thread about Obsessive-Compulsive Laundry Habits.

Oh, and about those buttons: it should be three, not two... :shameonyou:

EDIT: Grammar fix.

Last edited by CTBill on 02 Dec 2008, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 2:50 pm

ROFLMAO...yes, I can relate to most of what people wrote here....

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 2:57 pm

CTBill wrote:
Dogtanian wrote:

Here I thought Aspies couldn't lie... :wink:

And I'm certain that you didn't make sure the hangers were evenly spaced either.

I bet we could have an entire thread about Obsessive-Compulsive Laundry Habits.

Oh, and about those buttons: it should be three, not two... :shameonyou:

EDIT: Grammar fix.
Hehe, of course I didn't want the hangers all equally space. No way did I try to sort them out so they were not bunched together with a big space on the rail next to them :)

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 3:14 pm

CTBill wrote:
I need to have all my clothes laid out on the bed in the morning (afternoon--whenever I get up) in a particular way before I get into the shower so that I know what I'm going to wear that day.

I tried to stop doing this, thinking it was silly, but then I found that I'd pace around naked for 20-30 minutes before I could finally start to get dressed.

Now I know it's crazy, because I know where the underwear and socks are, and the closet is right there as well--everything is where it ought to be--but it just doesn't work out that way.

Whereas if everything is already ready, I can start getting dressed as soon as I've dried off. If I have to make any last-minute changes (e.g., because a shirt is missing a button), it's hell.

I think maybe the shower makes me stupid. :)

LOL I am glad I am not the only one that has lost their clothing and walked around naked... Turns out they were in my hamper, folded, instead of my closet and I couldn't find them... I eventually got cold and walked around my house in a blanket which I pretended was a cape.

Yeah, I have to have everything in it's proper place- but it doesn't mean my house is neat and tidy... I don't 'see' flat objects... like flat peices of paper can be laid anywhere and not disrupt it for me... It makes me seem messy

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:17 pm

Dogtanian wrote:
Hehe, of course I didn't want the hangers all equally space. No way did I try to sort them out so they were not bunched together with a big space on the rail next to them :)

Haha, and NTs claim Aspies are slobs! :lol:

And don't even get me started on obsessive-compulsive kitchen habits that I don't have.

I never need to take out all the pots, pans, dishes, utensils, spices, non-refrigerated ingredients, etc. before beginning to cook, or put the pots and pans on the designated burners with the lids wrong-side up if still empty, or right-side up if ready for heat, whether the lid is required or not...

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:22 pm

Yes, I have OCD. I do weird, random things- like turning off an oven 10 times, having my clothes color coordinated, My books alphabetized, an exact time on every clock, and even having my clothes folded a certain way.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 3:25 pm

SeizeTheDay wrote:
Yes, I have OCD. I do weird, random things- like turning off an oven 10 times, having my clothes color coordinated, My books alphabetized, an exact time on every clock, and even having my clothes folded a certain way.

LOL do you do what I do, where you get down your seconds timed and then wait for one clock to get to 60, then while trying to count seconds run to the next clock to try to make it just perfect? I do that... I try to set them to the second- but it usually is still a few off... I HATE time

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:49 pm

I'm not an absolutist, but if my sense of aesthetic and proportion is affected, then I have to change it. If I am expecting something and things change, I am prone to blowing up and melting down. I work very hard not to allow these things to affect me; I'd spend all day arranging my closet in chromatic order, matching hangers, etc. It could easily overwhelm my time, so I have to limit how I indulge these impulses.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 1:26 am

Yes, and it drives my husband nuts when I must have things in a certain way. It also drives me nuts when things aren't where they are supposed to be. Lately, nothing is in its place, and I feel like my mind is slowly slipping.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:35 am

CTBill wrote:

I do this too, only I take the clothes into the bathroom with me (my bedroom and bathroom are next to each other). I never thought it was strange though. Just one habit I have.

Another one is that before doing the dishes every dish must be rinsed a little bit. Then they have to be stacked neatly, and not a single dish must be in the sink while I fill it up with water.
I don't have OCD at all... :roll:

I also start screaming 'rinse the f***ing dishes!' when they are not rinsed, especially if there is still bits of food or drink in them.

I also move objects to their correct position if they have been moved.