Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 5:46 am

I always calculate with phone numbers, number plates, and sizes. Like: This object is about 1.3 times the size of this object''. I do this automatically and sometimes without even noticing.

I saw the phone number of the company ''UPC'' in a television commercial, 0800-1872. I saw immediately that 18 fitted 4 times in 72.

Do you guys have this too?

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:18 am

er...no.

I do not get along with numbers.

Last edited by pensieve on 03 Dec 2008, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasterBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2008, 6:18 am

yea i have the same thing, even when im looking at a digital clock.

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2008, 8:34 am

Not sure i understand this thread. My maths is garbage, but for whatever odd reason, i apply alot of basic maths in my thinking heeps . . . Espcially in relation to school and university. I'm always adding upp assessment marks repeatedly for each subject, so i can work out where i sit. It actually interests me too much.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 9:42 am

No, but visualise constantly...

Yes!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 9:51 am

I always note number plates and other numbers I see (digital clocks amuse me to no end. Ooh, ooh! It's 3:33!), but I don't calculate them in any way.

My mind's eye is more of a constant puller aparterer and purter back togetherer when my eye spies everything that it sees.

AdventurerGR
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2008, 11:07 pm

I do it quite often, yes. Even more often I transform words into numbers and then make calculations with them. When I see a subtitled sentence for example, I count the number of letters in each word and I'll go like "The largest words of this sentence is more than twice as large as the sum of the two smallest continuous words of this sentence". I can watch a full movie like this.

Danielismyname wrote:
I always note number plates and other numbers I see (digital clocks amuse me to no end. Ooh, ooh! It's 3:33!)
You should see how happy I was in my teen and pre-teen years when I'd see 22:22 in a digital clock :D

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 11:30 pm

I used to do calculations in my head all the time when I was little, but for a different reason. I had a phobia of odd numbers and therefore I had to make everything even. Doubling the number wasn't enough, because it was one calculation, and the one would be added on to the overall sum. I would twist numbers around in my head for hours trying to reach a satisfactory even number.

assburgerz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2008, 12:55 am

I don't calculate, per se, but I do count the amount of letters in words as I think, read, or hear them. I sometimes even make the mistake of thinking aloud, and blurting out the number. People will usually look at me with a blank confused monkey face like "WTF!?" :scratch: :shrug: :huh: :? :?:

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:01 am

assburgerz wrote:
I don't calculate, per se, but I do count the amount of letters in words as I think, read, or hear them. I sometimes even make the mistake of thinking aloud, and blurting out the number. People will usually look at me with a blank confused monkey face like "WTF!?" :scratch: :shrug: :huh: :? :?:

LOL I love your screen name!

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2008, 11:29 am

MasterBrain wrote:
yea i have the same thing, even when im looking at a digital clock.

I do that too. I calculate with the numbers displayed, but also with the red bars wich they are formed of, I then calculate ''visually'', I see that if the clock says 12:31 that if you count the number of bars from number 1 with the bars of number 3, you get an 8. I do this all the time.

Also with words, I calculate then with their place in the order of the alphabet.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

asfred
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2008, 12:05 pm

Not a math whiz, so I don't calculate.

But I do count... stairs, doors in a hallway, footsteps, elapsed time between signals, almost anything like that. Don't know if it is an Aspie thing or not, but something I've always done.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2008, 12:21 pm

Oh yes, I'm always calculating. From seventh through 12th grade, I was always calculating how many people liked me and how popular I was. In fact, if I saw one person starting to lose even a miniscule of respect for me, I definitely made a big deal out of it. I also found out how to calculate the damage formula in the Pokemon Games. I also try to calculate how csensitive certain radios are to weak signals. I think my sister's Philips shelf stereo has the sensitivity of a car radio, while mine is half the sensitivity of hers.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:21 pm

yes, all the time, especially digital clocks and license plates. when i'm trying to sleep i'll often fall asleep calculating, wake up a few minutes later, resume where i left off, fall asleep again....this cycle may repeat 30 times or so before i stay asleep. i also dream about phone numbers without the area code. i don't remember names or faces but i rarely forget birthdays and you only have to tell me once.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2008, 10:30 pm

i do with people's age
like how old i am compared to them or younger...
or about a certain year...like when an event happened
to me that year i always count back

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:35 pm

Not numbers. * slight grin *

~~ the phoenix