Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 5:51 am

No

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 6:06 am

Not in front of the children!

(Psst! It is an interesting fact that the average speed of a car in London is 9mph, slower than horses and carts in the 19th century. A normal cyclist can reach an average speed of 13mph measured the same way, from beginning to end of the journey. Not many people know that!)

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 6:21 am

Gromit wrote:

(Psst! It is an interesting fact that the average speed of a car in London is 9mph, slower than horses and carts in the 19th century. A normal cyclist can reach an average speed of 13mph measured the same way, from beginning to end of the journey. Not many people know that!)

probably the same in NYC

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:25 am

:lol:

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2008, 7:53 am

How appropriate! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGT71Zv2tGU[/youtube]

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 8:45 pm

wolphin wrote:
How appropriate! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGT71Zv2tGU[/youtube]

i.love.that.show.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 8:50 pm

Did you know that the pineapple is related to neither the pine nor the apple? It is, in fact, more closely related to the raspberry; being a cluster of berries grown into one large, pulpy mass.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 8:58 pm

Shiggily wrote:
i.love.that.show.

As do I. I relate very well to the characters on it.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:32 pm

Did you know that I have tee-shirts with portraits of Michael Faraday, Charles Darwin, and Neils Bohr on them? :D

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
Did you know that the pineapple is related to neither the pine nor the apple? It is, in fact, more closely related to the raspberry; being a cluster of berries grown into one large, pulpy mass.

In other classification news. A panda bear is not a bear... it is related to the raccoon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 11:39 pm

Perfume is described in a musical metaphor as having three sets of 'notes', making the harmonious scent accord. The notes unfold over time, with the immediate impression of the top note leading to the deeper middle notes, and the base notes gradually appearing as the final stage. These notes are created carefully with knowledge of the evaporation process of the perfume.

* Top notes: The scents that are perceived immediately on application of a perfume. Top notes consist of small, light molecules that evaporate quickly. They form a person's initial impression of a perfume and thus are very important in the selling of a perfume. Also called the head notes.

* Middle notes: The scent of a perfume that emerges just prior to when the top notes dissipate. The middle note compounds form the "heart" or main body of a perfume and act to mask the often unpleasant initial impression of base notes, which become more pleasant with time. They are also called the "heart notes".

* Base notes: The scent of a perfume that appears close to the departure of the middle notes. The base and middle notes together are the main theme of a perfume. Base notes bring depth and solidity to a perfume. Compounds of this class of scents are typically rich and "deep" and are usually not perceived until 30 minutes after application.
The scents in the top and middle notes are influenced by the base notes, as well the scents of the base notes will be altered by the type of fragrance materials used as middle notes. Manufactures of perfumes usually publish perfume notes and typically they present it as fragrance pyramid, with the components listed in imaginative and abstract terms.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 1:03 am

There's really only 3 colours: red, yellow and blue, these are known as 'primary' colours. All other colours are combinations of two or more of those. Orange and purple and green are a mixture of two primary colours and as such are known as 'secondary' colours. If you mix all three you will end up with grey or brown (tertiary colours) depending on the proportions and particular shade of primary colour. When I say particular shade, in colour mixing there are two yellows, two red and two blues, usually a 'warm' and a 'cold' shade of each.

Here endeth the lesson.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 1:49 am

Shiggily wrote:
Gromit wrote:

probably the same in NYC
I think it's a bit better in NYC, since the average speed during rush hour is supposedly 9mph, but it's still worse than the average cyclist, and could handily be beaten by a hybrid or electric bicycle or velomobile. Up to ~40-50mph average speeds and/or dangerous conditions for cyclists I don't see much of a point in a car for solo transportation. I suppose an exception could be trying to get through NYC at ~15-20mph in heavy traffic, but that's pretty nutty (and fun) any way ya look at it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQs7u3fDXc[/youtube]

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 2:18 am

I am unsure if I should talk "nerdy" with you, it might disturb any children who are watching. But after thinking about it I willl do it anyway.

Table salt has one cubic lattice in it which is made of sodium and chloride ions. While caesium chloride has two cubic lattices which interlock. which consist of chloride and caesium ions. Also British table salt contains [Fe(CN)6]4- which is a source of cyanide anions, while the dose of cyanide per day to a human is too low to cause harm it might harm fish in fish tanks. On treatment with a ferric salt the [Fe(CN)6]4- will form Prussian blue which was the paint pigment in the paint which Van Gogh once tried to kill himself by eating. According to the IAEA a adult human can eat 30 grams of Prussian blue per day with few ill effects other than constipation, so the pigment will be unlikely to have done anything to Vincent but I can not comment on the other things in the paint.

How nerdy is that ? Am I "King Nerd" yet ?

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 3:16 am

I enjoyed that one.

You know they used to use (still do sometimes) egg white as a paint thinner/medium. The history and science of paint is interesting.