Thoughts on walking home, cutting out people entirely

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2005, 11:18 pm

I've been thinking and remembering a time when human life was of no concern to me. I almost want to go back to that time. To cut out human contact entirely. Or pare it down to the bare bones....nothing but needed communication. I feel like I was happier in that time period before I acknowledged people.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2005, 11:53 pm

Eh, why not do it? Nothing stopping you.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2005, 12:15 am

I just might. At least offline communication and cut down on the online stuff too.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Shoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Dec 2005, 2:48 am

I tried that once after a bad experience with some people I thought were my friends. I was working nights at the time and lived alone so I figured it would be easy. I kept required communication at work (which only happened during the first and last half hour anyway) to a minimum, avoided my neighbors, stopped socializing online, stopped calling people, and bought food in bulk so I wouldn't have to shop often. After a few weeks I started freaking out. I would call people up and talk at them like a madman, I got really depressed, and got extremely suicidal for an extended period. I eventually emerged but I had trouble speaking intelligibly and still have trouble getting words to come out sometimes. I've had only superficial friendships since then.

I'm not saying it would turn out the same for you, but be careful! Humans have a core need for community. Even though it may be reduced significantly in us, it's still there.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2005, 9:10 am

I wouldn't mind living such that I wouldn't communicate offline at all. If that were possible.

But if I were to cut off online communication as well, ermm, now THAT could drive me insane. I don't care if I remain completely friendless and anonymous. That could still cause me problems

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2005, 10:23 am

I started doing that when I moved to a new city a month ago. No local friends, no networking beyond what's necessary to be successful at work, and online/phone contact only when I actually want it. I've been happier this past month than I've been in quite a while.

Go for it.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2005, 10:24 am

Which is why I had no plan to cut out the online communication. That and my gf would be really worried/pissed. I'd go nuts without online forums and such.

Henry David Thoreau

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2005, 3:50 pm

It is certainly doable. Communicating using only online technologies is easy.

Is it Desirable? Hmm, up to you I guess. But I don't see any negative effects, really...(maybe you'd get out of practice using regular social skills on other ppl irl).

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2005, 4:29 pm

For me such changes matter little. The only things that affect me are what activities displace them.

Elk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2005, 4:05 pm

this topic i can relate to. people are ghey and thats all theres too it.