Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 7:52 am

I confessed to this girl I fancied at college that I have a disorder in teh austism spectrum.

Will she think any less of me because of this?

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:25 am

It depends. Most people view it as an illness, though some are more "understanding" than others.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 9:22 am

It depends on the kind of person she is.

WaxDeejay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2009, 9:43 am

I have made this confession as well. My experience is that someone worth having will
understand and those that don't, aren't worth having and will usually weed themselves
out.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:01 am

There's only one way to find out.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:16 am

If she accepts your autism, then everything should be fine. On the other hand, if she has problems with it, know that your AS would have emerged eventually, so you are doing yourself a favor by getting away from her...

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 12:46 pm

I would resist the urge to disclose too much to someone you like at the beginning of a relationship. It eliminates some of the mystery and allure of yourself, and often is just a burden.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 1:56 pm

It's a risky move, but you are probably revealing too much about yourself... maybe It's hard to say when we don't know the relationship or the person.

I'm trying to take a tip from comedians, I am going to disclose more 'faults' of mine very early in a conversation... but do it in a self-depreciating funny way. The key is to isolate your weirdness and make it know to the other person that you are aware and it's okay. Perhaps in an advanced form, you could use this for flirting.

Autism is a trickier thing to explain, it would be better to focus on the symptoms instead... the ones that people can kind of see...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 2:15 pm

I wouldn't go on about. If she has any questions she will ask. This is the mistake I have made. I can get locked onto certain subject which is ok cause even NT's do. Except I found other people generally don't want to know nothing or very little about AS or any other body/mind health condition, if that has been my focus.
I don't know if they think Im bein an sympathy seeker or trying make up excuses of 'oh, I have AS and ... bla bla

I know that I like to know of other people's opinions and knowledge of AS or of their disability. However, Ive learnt that you just don't talk about it especially in reference to yourself. People find that disclosing such information is too personal, I think.

It is important not go on about the same topic unless the other person is interested too - Especially at the beginning of a relationship. It is about listening to the other person and feeding back from each other. It can be difficult to learn communication boundaries but they are very important to know and be aware of.