Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2009, 3:03 pm

Do you ever feel the NT's look at us and think they're better than us? I do. Than I wonder, are they actually better than us or just defining it as such? I have trouble coming to terms with the idea that because I'm Aspie, I'm less than everyone else or I generally have less than everyone else in many areas of my life. Are we really supposed to come to terms with the idea that we're less? that we're the lowest on the food chain of humans or is there something that the NT's are missing when judging us?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:14 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
Do you ever feel the NT's look at us and think they're better than us?

Yeah, they do. But so do I when I look at them, like every judgment of value it depends on the criteria on which it is based....

Joshandspot wrote:
Than I wonder, are they actually better than us ?

No

Joshandspot wrote:
Are we really supposed to come to terms with the idea that we're less?

No

Joshandspot wrote:
or is there something that the NT's are missing when judging us?

Basic understanding

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:25 pm

Oh goody. Another "NT"-bashing thread.

"NTs" DO NOT think they are better than you. That is simply a reflection of how YOU feel about YOURSELF.

(edited for poor grammar)

Last edited by NocturnalQuilter on 26 Jan 2009, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:27 pm

Plenty of people will always look down on others given a chance for whatever reason. If people are that way inclined they'll always find something. It's not about people being NTs. It's about people being as*holes who happen to be NT.

There are still people who want, or are at least willing, to accept and attempt to understand. Not everyone is an as*hole.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:43 pm

They don't think they're "better" than us. They do think, though, that they're BETTER ADJUSTED TO SOCIETY than us. And since, for them, being well adjusted to society is top priority, they consider themselves better off than us.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:52 pm

Greentea wrote:
They don't think they're "better" than us. They do think, though, that they're BETTER ADJUSTED TO SOCIETY than us. And since, for them, being well adjusted to society is top priority, they consider themselves better off than us.

You give "NTs" WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much credit for thinking that abstractly.
The collective "NT" mind doesn't even know that Asperger's exists (much less what it is) let alone taking the far-fetched leap at cognitive/presumptive social elitism.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:54 pm

What they see when they look at us:

Inspector Gadget? 8O

Sometimes at school it might be as simple as something like:
"The Kid with Glasses" or "The Kid with braces".

(For those affected with these other things too of course, not all AS people have braces or glasses)

But then again, lot's of so called "normal" folk I've met aren't this shallow minded.

Different people probably see different things anyway.
They're not all bad you know.

Some of the angry people I've met were only angry because there had been a genuine misunderstanding.

People are often afraid of what they don't understand.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 4:02 pm

I'm not sure, but I sometimes get pissed off by ppl that feels like it's allright to let me know that they percieve me as weird. Not all ppl are like that, but on some occacions, they spot me on a mile distance.
I sometimes can understand, not defend, that some weirdos just climb the clock tower and shoot at random.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 4:57 pm

disability is comparable to being 'black', we are regarded as an underclass, a lower caste.

illogicaljim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2009, 5:10 pm

I think that AS is irrelevant to the vast majority of NT's. Most of them don't even know what Aspergers let alone care. :evil:

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2009, 5:11 pm

Race is something immediate to the eye; some can even masquerade as being NT by not telling anyone, despite not generally being invited to dos and so forth. But yes, from a lot of people, there's at least subconscious different treatment.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 5:14 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
Do you ever feel the NT's look at us and think they're better than us? I do. Than I wonder, are they actually better than us or just defining it as such? I have trouble coming to terms with the idea that because I'm Aspie, I'm less than everyone else or I generally have less than everyone else in many areas of my life. Are we really supposed to come to terms with the idea that we're less? that we're the lowest on the food chain of humans or is there something that the NT's are missing when judging us?

It usually depends on the NT.. I think the main NTs who do are the ones who also look at other NTs like they're better than them.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
You give "NTs" WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much credit for thinking that abstractly.
The collective "NT" mind doesn't even know that Asperger's exists (much less what it is) let alone taking the far-fetched leap at cognitive/presumptive social elitism.

Words of wisdom. :wink:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Oh goody. Another "NT"-bashing thread.

"NTs" DO NOT think they are better than you. That is simply a reflection of how YOU feel about YOURSELF.

(edited for poor grammar)

WOW, what a DUMB psychobabble thing to say! YES, some NTs DO think they are better than people that act odd, such as AS. Sorry, but that is FACT! And just because somone realizes that does NOT mean that they feel that way about themselves.

HAVEN'T you EVER thought about your stupid logic? Turned around, and used in the most common way, you must have AS, ADHD, LFA, etc.... Because many say you won't say such things against another unless you are like them. Then again, that means that those speaking against NTs must be nts! Pretty stupid reasoning, huh? GRANTED, perverts and homosexuals tend to be the ones stating that "logic" to that degree, and that clearly, but it is the SAME reasoning that you now do.

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2009, 5:55 pm

Looooooads of poeple on this site use the word "NT" and i havent a clue what it stands for though i suppose i get what it means in context.
im new to this aspergers lingo ive known ive had it since i was 6 and ive never heard it being called "aspie" until a few days ago

Fluffybunnyfeet
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2009, 5:56 pm

Some people will see a weakness in us, if they're the predatory type.

How many people see our AS traits when they see us? Surely not all of them.

How many people see those traits, and then judge them to be a bad thing? Again, the number diminishes.

How many people do all of this and choose something other than simply storing it as an observation, noting it as something to have sympathy/empathy about, how many choose to be arrogant and place themselves on a higher platform?

I think the numbers get trimmed right down. 1 in 20? 1 in 100?

When you ask, what do NTs see? Each person sees things differently, but very few of them think they're better than us.

Other people have mentioned worthiness, and it seems to me like a projection. You feel this and now you expect that everyone else will too. Its a natural assumption that i've had at different times, too.