Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:53 am

I was wondering do autistic people get anxious more often and more intently that other people? If so is it something we are born with or does interaction with our environment cause it?

Oh if your wondering I am asking because I cannot look back in my past and solve this problem due to all the crap I went through.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:04 am

i would say more intently in my own personal experience. i tend to worry quite a bit sometimes.
as for cause :?

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:20 am

I get anxious a lot. Mainly during social interactions. Perfectly normal due to my anxiety and social anxiety.

ARandomPerson
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 7:24 am

I say no.
can they handle anxiety better, that is proven by actions.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 8:33 am

I'm not sure, I think NTs can get anxiety just as easy as we can.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

jacola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2009, 6:49 pm

I belive most asperger traits & unusual bahaviours are results of the feelings of anxity, due to constantantly worrying about things in detail that havnt even happened yet & find it very hard to think in a positive way. a neo person can move on quicker from a problem solved or not and carry on with other things but some aspies will continue to worry about the outcome of situations & looking stupid.

So aspies and neos do suffer anxity but we suffer in a more extrem & unsual way.

jaelb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Feb 2009, 8:42 pm

As an NT, I went through a bout of anxiety in high school. My AS son was anxious in the womb, I swear. He is a highly anxious, easily startled, over-stimulated child and he suffers from panic attacks now, despite anti-anxiety meds and therapy. I've been told that his anxiety is typical of AS and what separates him diagnostically from HFA (among other things).

But also ADHD stimulant meds increase anxiety.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 8:53 pm

jacola wrote:
I belive most asperger traits & unusual bahaviours are results of the feelings of anxity, due to constantantly worrying about things in detail that havnt even happened yet & find it very hard to think in a positive way. a neo person can move on quicker from a problem solved or not and carry on with other things but some aspies will continue to worry about the outcome of situations & looking stupid.

So aspies and neos do suffer anxity but we suffer in a more extrem & unsual way.

Very well said.

Anxiety is a fundamental component of AS. Most people don't realize that they have anxietly. I didn't realize that I had anxiety until I was in my late 30s.

jacola

24 Feb 2009, 9:00 am

Everyone suffers from anxiety, on a daily basis as it is part of human nature the fight /flight. reactions. Most people have ways of dealing & masking their anxietys, automaticaly for example smoking , drinking, recreational drugs, the gym, hobbies, computers ect , people on the spectrum do the same things but to an extream, as anxiety levels are much higher than the average person , & coping stratigies like tapping your leg, obbsessions & other behaviours will or may look strange to the average person, leading to isolation , poor self esteem / low self confidence & negative thinking, which usually becomes apparant to the person when they start high school, which then turns into a vicious circle of negative thoughts, ie feelings of rejection, self loafing, isolation, feeling they dont fit in therfore adding more fuel to their anxietys, magnifing there actions & behaviours to cope .Then given loads of different diagnoises, when given diagnoises , a person may or may not except it, or depending on age , & can isolate themselfs more & avoid stressful situations without feeling bad due to their dx. & will be happy to isolate themselfs from the real world, which may lead to further mental health problems in adult life.

What we need to do is change the way we think, & learn new stratgies to conceal / cope with the anxiety feelings we experience. Take one positive step day & the rest should follow it might take years/ weeks/ months, & remember dont be so hard on yourself, we are all the same, only difference is that we are more sensitive than the average person, dont be a victim .

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 9:05 am

I think it's overall a personality factor. I have two little cousins and one's ADHD and the other suffers from a lot of anxiety. But they were always so different growing up, I'm not surprised. So one's care-free and the other cares too much.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 9:06 am

If I have anxiety, it rarely bothers me.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2009, 12:18 pm

jacola wrote:

I am supporting this comment. Very nice explanation. :)

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:30 pm

I don't experience (social) anxiety.

From my experiences I'd say that's quite unusual for an autistic person.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:33 pm

I used to be immune to anxiety. Now I'm totally immersed in it.

:shrug:

jacola

24 Feb 2009, 4:26 pm

Sora wrote:
I don't experience (social) anxiety.

From my experiences I'd say that's quite unusual for an autistic person.

Anxiety plays a very large part in aspergers & autisum its common knowledge.
What differculties ( mentaly & physically ) do you experiences with your condition, & how do you deal with them, iam intrigued.

jacola

24 Feb 2009, 4:28 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I think it's overall a personality factor. I have two little cousins and one's ADHD and the other suffers from a lot of anxiety. But they were always so different growing up, I'm not surprised. So one's care-free and the other cares too much.

They still both suffer anxiety, but express it differently,