Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:12 pm

With age I'm becoming increasingly more aware of how quiet my voice seems to be in comparison to others.
Earlier today someone greeted me and I replied with a "hello" but it wasn't until after I'd said it that I realised how quietly I had spoken. So softly that I could barely hear myself, so I doubt she could hear me.

I don't do it on purpose, I just can't seem to anticipate how loud my words will come out. I think it's partly an anxiety-fueled reaction, because my throat tends to tighten up around social situations, especially when I've been taken off-guard. I didn't expect her to talk to me; no-one else does. It might also be due to the fact I've spent a couple of years of my life quite deaf (I have over-sensitive ears which readily block themselves up with wax for 'protection') and could hear myself very loudly but everything else was rather muffled, so perhaps I had a distorted sense of my own volume.

Does anyone else have a problem with the volume of their voice and/or any possible solutions to share?

(P.S. Sorry, I always seem to write multiple sentences when only one was needed.)

metal_mike
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2009, 3:16 pm

Hmm... I often can be too quiet too and am sometimes nervous about speaking to groups of people (though quietness is much less a problem here), or people that I consider much more important than me. If people ask me to speak up I will.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:16 pm

I often talk too loud when I'm talking to people, once I was at school and I was talking to my best friend and I never noticed the whole time this group of girls was staring at me, apparently I was very loud.
But also I can be very quiet with people I'm not as comfortable with, so if someone says hi I can barely wisper and I sound like I've lost my voice.
I also tend to talk very fast and slurry so people often misunderstand alot of what I'm saying

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:17 pm

Sometimes too loud, sometimes too quiet. I'm weird like that, LOL.

y es como un semestre"

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:20 pm

I don't usually talk that loud, but sometimes people tell me they couldn't hear what I said and they say I was mumbling.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

mirna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 3:21 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:

same with me

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:24 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
I don't usually talk that loud, but sometimes people tell me they couldn't hear what I said and they say I was mumbling.

I get told I'm mumbling a lot too. It frustrates me because to me I sound perfectly audible most of the time, so how am I supposed to know when I'm not speaking at an adequate volume or speed? :(

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:29 pm

mirna wrote:
gina-ghettoprincess wrote:

same with me

Same here

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:32 pm

People often tell me that I'm too loud.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:44 pm

I usually respond really quietly when I'm caught off guard. Not on purpose but I guess it just takes me a minute to find my voice when I'm not expecting to be talking, and it usually comes out as a mumble or something inaudible.

On the other hand, if I'm talking about one of my interests I tend to get increasingly loud as I get more excited about whatever I'm talking about.

I'm not often in the middle ground, talking about something that I'm not interested in, so I don't know how loud or quiet I am in that situation.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:49 pm

Too loud at times, but mostly too quiet. When I was a kid I was too loud, and one of my friends pointed it out on a daily basis until I got self-conscious, so I started speaking more softly.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:56 pm

I think my voice is generally normal, although some say I speak too fast.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 4:37 pm

Too quiet. I tend to see it as everybody else talking too loud though, or not taking the trouble to listen carefully enough. I believe that a lot of people who talk loudly all the time are just being selfish and competitive, they do it to intimidate and to drown out the wimps and to keep them from getting attention. But I'm prepared to take on board the idea that some of them might have a brain-wiring problem and don't mean harm by it.

There used to be a nice Yorkshire guy on the TV who used to say that country people talked more quietly than city people, he obviously preferred the country type, and so do I, assuming he's right about them being a bit quieter. I don't like noisy people at all, they disrupt my concentration and they get on my nerves. I like quiet people, they're more likely to listen and to be sensitive to the needs of others. I can forgive the occasional burst of noise but not when it's a way of life.

I think it may be a component of Britishness - people from other countries talk louder on the whole, and if I were asked what I liked and disliked about immigrants, their uninhibited shouting would be top of my list for dislikes. I think they should remove "loyalty to the Queen" from the list of conditions of entry to Britain, and replace it with "ability to conduct themselves reasonably quietly." Why should the Queen have loyalty when I can't have peace?

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit."
- from Desiderata:
http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm
See? I'm not too quiet, it's everybody else that's too loud.

Holinyx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 5:57 pm

aye, same with me. Most of the time i speak very softly, mumble, and people are constantly telling me they can't hear me. but if i'm on a roll and talking about something i'm really interested in, i can be loud and not realize it. my 5 year old son talks extremely loud with everything he says. hurts my ears everytime he says anything, drives me crazy. the sooner we're diagnosed, the better.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 6:03 pm

Yes, I have always spoken too loudly. I don't even realize that I'm doing it. But I'm often told that I'm "shouting" or something, and my mom has to remind me to be quieter a lot. I don't speak in a monotone like some Aspies do, but I speak very loudly and very fast. I dominate any conversation I'm in, because I'm like a wind-up toy: Once I start talking, I can't stop until I'm finished, so nobody else gets a word in edgewise. :lol:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 7:07 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I think they should remove "loyalty to the Queen" from the list of conditions of entry to Britain, and replace it with "ability to conduct themselves reasonably quietly." Why should the Queen have loyalty when I can't have peace?

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit."
- from Desiderata:
http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm
See? I'm not too quiet, it's everybody else that's too loud.

Brilliant. If only that could be implemented. The country would be a less intimidating place for us Aspies, methinks. You have a great way with words.