Have You Been In Seclusion Or Restraint?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Have You Been In Seclusion Or Restraint?
Poll ended at 16 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm
I have been in seclusion (lock in room or closet for misbehaving in school) 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
I was restraint (act of bound to chair or object for misbehaving in school) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I was in seclusion and restraint in school. 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Neither. I am interested in the poll result also. 65%  65%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 69

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 5:20 pm

I recently posted a thread in Parent discussion but I wanted to see who have live through it and are willing to step forward.

There are kids throughout United States that have face seclusion and restraint. Seclusion is the worst kind and it is unbelieveably ignored.

If a Child Protective Serivce would have saw it, do you think that they would have taken teachers into custody for advminstering it?

Why is school offical have no heart at this method?

What evil and cruelty would allow people to install this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ar4JZOD98[/youtube]

23 May 2009, 5:29 pm

Never. Neither of my schools had it. I thought only special ones do because that's what my mother told me. I know this one school north of me did because it was a special school and my ex had been in it and he said he took a dump in it and they made him clean it up the next day he told me. I know mental hospitals have them too. My ex aspie mate also went to that school and I'm sure he had been in there many times because he likes hurting people to get his way. My ex also knew him and he told me what a bastard he was because he start bullying him for no reason and trying to hurt him. I don't think it was a BS story he told because some of it matched from what the Dev Man told me and what my mom has said about him what he does at his new school. Anyway that special school sounded awful my ex went too.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 5:52 pm

Yes,have spent a life time of being restrained [physically,not using equipment that they have now],including at school,home and residential care.
Am was never secluded,as in-left on own,but taught on own a lot with own support staff,am was dragged out and put in a spare class room at SpEd college but was restrained in there a lot.
They used to hit am with wooden rulers at infant/junior school if restraining wasn't working,though that never worked either,and would go home the end of the day covered in bruises,they wouldn't always tell mum and dad what had happened so no one would know-they didn't care when they were told either,they were quick enough to tell them and suspend am if they got in the way and were injured though.
It was a catholic school,which were supposed to be worse for punishment,and they didn't seem to care that bashing children had long been banned.

Am think restraining of child and adult is needed in some situations,but not all,are likely to set off the fight or flight response with
going in on someone to restrain,so it should only be done if there's danger or there's going to be damage done to someone or something.
In uk residential care they can't even do it without having it planned individually for each adult first [eg,what restraints they're going to use].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 5:56 pm

^^ I remember those rooms from when I was in the old state institution in Topeka. We were to call them 'quiet rooms.' Any one showing signs of 'frustration to communicate' were conducted there by matron and two orderlies. The threat was always there.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 7:50 pm

When I was in public school in 1st and 2nd grade, they did that to me. The room was an old bathroom that had the fixtures removed and the floor drain cemented shut. Had a cold concrete floor. They completely remodeled the school the following year and gutted it, so fortunately that room was gone.

Last edited by WardenWolf on 23 May 2009, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2009, 7:53 pm

i dont know about any of your answers, but i have been puting myself into seclusion for most of my life :(

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 7:55 pm

I've been restrained in school and also secluded in unlocked room. In a hospital, I was both restrained and put in locked seclusion.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 8:19 pm

I've never been in restraint... I've never had a person restrain me or been put in restraints... but I was in a seclusion room at a hospital once until a space in the psych ward opened up for me.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 11:10 pm

I have experienced seclusion rooms quite a bit in elementary school. Not a pleasant experience at all, but sometimes it was a haven for me from the classroom.

The room was locked from the inside and I couldn't leave. I'd often have fears that I would be forgotten - and sometimes I wished I had been forgotten and left in the rooms overnight - but I didn't. It was carpeted instead of padded and there was always a desk for me to work on my schoolwork alone without the instruction of the teacher.

I remember being kept there for days on end, only being let out to go home and was expected to go back to school and back into the seclusion space. No instruction, just shoveled work to do.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 11:38 pm

^^ my for three years of junior high, I sat out in the lumber room of the carpenter shop classes that was my home room. I was given a student chair there and I was given a task, to continually write out that I would not have overdue library books in home room 123 which I did dutifully for years. I would leave for summer and in the fall I would resume my room again and the reams of tablet paper would be graphited with the scribblings of a bored kid that read more often than scribbled over the years. I often wondered why the door to the outside was left open in fair weather, I have often thought that they were wanting me to walk out and not be their problem any more.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:51 am

I've had teachers lock the door after me after a slight meltdown when they told me to write about the incident from my perspective (standard protocol or something). I don't think they meant to put me into real seclusion, because (normal) schools around here don't do such.

But I think they were irrational, afraid and freaked out and didn't want to deal with me because 'what child's starting to cry and say 'no' when you tell them to switch chairs?' The autistic one of course.

They denied locking the door afterwards actually.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 5:20 am

Yes (schools/hospitals).

And each time it was a "Hulk Smash" moment soon afterwards. They learnt to leave me be by myself when problems arose, as I'd bother no one when I was/am left alone.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 8:11 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Yes (schools/hospitals).

And each time it was a "Hulk Smash" moment soon afterwards. They learnt to leave me be by myself when problems arose, as I'd bother no one when I was/am left alone.

That was the case with my younger brother. He would destroy if he was bothered but be all peaceful and harmless if not bothered. The first school he was taken couldn't handle him because they would pester him just like my older sister and I and he would make gigantic messes. My parents pulled him out of that school and into a traditional-based school which was better. When we moved to the other side of the city, my brother had the fortune of completing the rest of elementary school in a school where the principal was sympathetic towards Asperger's children as the principal had a child with Aspergers too.

My Blog

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:03 pm

Please keep the comment and poll running, every bit would help a non-profit organization that is struggling to fight against restraint and seclusion.

Thank you!

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:16 pm

I have been put into a seclusion room a few times. Honestly, I don't see why it's so bad. Whenever I "misbehaved" (I put that in quotation marks because I honestly do not know/remember why I was secluded), I was put in a room where all of my awful peers weren't around to tease me and touch me, and I was all by myself in a nice quiet room to just write and think. I had time to calm down from whatever upset feeling I must have been experiencing at that time, and then I would come out nice and calm and happy.

Why is that so bad?

I think restraint would be alot worse. I've never been restrained because I am not a violent person, but I've heard that restraint can turn dangerous sometimes. :shrug:

But then again, I dunno. I love my solitude. But I still want the freedom to move my arms.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:39 pm

The reason why it was so bad was that for many days I was put into seclusion for days on end - an in-school suspension they termed it. I didn't mind it when I was put there for an hour or two, it was the two-five day long excursions inside them that really bothers me.

My Blog