Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 2:35 pm

Anyone else a fan?

Anyhow, does anyone else find that that Lynch's films resonate with them in a number of ways? Apart from the appeal of symbolism in Lynch's films that makes them enjoyable to analyse, I find the general atmosphere and surrealism something I relate with. The world of Eraserhead, for example strikes me as an autistic experience on a number of levels. Everything from radiators steaming to the whir of the electricity is audible. The character of Henry is distracted by high intensity sounds a number of times throughout - eg. The lightbulb flickering, the suckling noises of puppies feeding. Henry himself is stilted and withdrawn, almost wholly incapable of ordinary social contacts, shuffling through an odd and confusing landscape where nothing is predictable, fraught with anxieties in a strange world.

If I could express my everyday reality as someone with AS to someone through film, Eraserhead would probably be it.

David Lynch's biopic of The Elephant Man also strikes a chord with me. A character who really was mistreated, ostracized and alienated from the rest of society due to difference. Treated as a subject of everything but cruelty, fun, fascination and fear - Joseph Merrick (aka John) was one of my special interests for a long time, but the film makes relate that bit more due to the hyper-intense visuals and soundscape typical of Lynch which mirrors my autistic experience.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 May 2009, 3:12 pm

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan but I enjoy his work. Lost Highway is a favorite. It's a tough film to figure out. And despite the pacing I enjoy Dune from time to time.

The former things have passed away."

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 3:32 pm

I think his version of "Dune" is underrated, and I loved "Twin Peaks". A pity that it was cancelled so soon.

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2009, 8:42 pm

Yeah, I'm a David Lynch fan and have been ever since I stumbled upon Lost Highway at age 14. Eraserhead was pretty wicked, and I loved Dumbland. The Elephant Man made me bawl when I was 17. It's the first movie that ever made me cry. I cried when the elephant man was all happy in his apartment, humming, and then he got attacked by those random drunk people. He was just so content for the first time in his life, and then all those people ruined it.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:13 pm

I would like to see more stuff from him.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:17 pm

I love David Lynch. Been a fan here since 14.
Twin peaks did see some conclusion thankfully, as weird as it was.
I love his films, elephant man made me cry, blue velvet freaked me out, lost highway was well...an experience.
One of my favorite directors, and he triggered an obsession with auteur directors.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2009, 12:31 am

Yes. I think he is one of the greats.

My all time favourite is "Mulholland Drive". For the whole thing, but also particular moments. The road at night in the opening credits, ... and the theatre, the song, the key, the box falling to the ground ... Totally brilliant.

But I also like/appreciate "Blue Velvet", ( loses it a bit in the last "chapter" as if he lost his nerve or was under pressure for a "ties everything up neatly" ending :( ), and "Dune", ( underrated as you say !), and "Eraserhead". I couldn't bear "Elephant Man". It was literally too painful to watch.

And I only managed to struggle through "Eraserhead" on a determined second viewing after having had my son and suddenly thinking the film expressed how I was feeling as a mother with tiny creature to look after.

I liked some segments of "Wild at Heart" and "INLAND EMPIRE" very much, but think that in both of them he was too obsessed with style over content, whereas Mulholland Drive manages an almost perfect balance between them.

Perhaps not as perfect a balance as Nicholas Roeg achieves in "Don't Look Now", ( a very similar "structure"/approach ), but so beautiful and haunting. I think it's one of the most brilliant evocations of the feeling of a dream that I have ever seen, ( though Don't Look Now may be better, because less self-conscious ).

I too hope he does something else soon.

Last edited by ouinon on 28 May 2009, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horsa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2009, 8:08 pm

Have any of you seen the Straight Story?

Always raises a smile with me when I introduce a pretentious Lynch "fan" to that one.... :lol:

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 8:10 pm

I've only seen a couple of his movies, but I love Twin Peaks.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 8:25 pm

i love

the cowboy and the frenchman (see my signature ;) )
wild at heart
and
mulholland drive

but i cannot stand trying to "figure out" movies, beyond what i can see clearly there and then. i love mulholland drive for what it is, ambience, colors, moods and lights

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 7:11 am

I've seen Dune and Lost Highway (the latter of which I watched because I heard that it was similar to Silent Hill 2). He got the epic feel of Dune right, but the story wasn't there. The Sci-Fi Channel adaptation did a better job, I'm sorry to say.

On sabbatical...

Hyperakusis
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2009, 8:52 am

Eraserhead is a great movie made by David Lynch. The film creates a strange atmosphere. A surrealist nightmare in fascinating composed images, between reality and irrational. The scene with the song "In heaven everything is fine" is fantastic, nightmarish! See my signature! :D

nebula
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2009, 11:19 am

I actually only like Eraser Head which seems to be one of the few films that actually plays with my mind and stimulates me in the fact that it is one of the most original horror films ever to grace my viewing.

I am actually constantly imageing films to produce that could be similar to this and I think eventually I will do just that. The only thing that holds me back is the getting out there to do it as I tend to 1) be the only human being that has the enthusiam and professional approach to develop such a powerful art project 2) I dont like mixing with people much at all 3) I like being a one man band doing all things myself alone so I probuly stuffed for now.

I did develop a short film recently but I have a problem I need to learn how to supper impose a 3d animation or cgi eliment into the film as a seperate layer, It seems I have to learn how to use a program called apple shake and final cut pro first which is hard program to get to grips with. Well it aint but I much prefer using Imovie HD which don't seem to have the abilities to do green screen etc. Oh and the forth is that I wouldn't like to cut up a dead cat or use one to create a film with gore involved lol.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 1:50 pm

David Lynch is the man. I love his quirky stuff. although Straight Story was awesome too, almost made me cry like a real human being.

hector451
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2009, 6:48 am

Yeah enjoyed most of his stuff. Gonna check out Lost Highway soon.

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2009, 2:57 pm

I loved the Elephant Man when I first saw it as a 14 year old. It was one of the saddest films I'd ever seen.

I saw Eraserhead a couple of years later. I'd heard about it as this cult classic. I videotaped it and kept it for years. I was really keen at one time to get hold of an Eraserhead T-shirt, but I never managed to find one.
Anyway, I only ever watched the film once all the way through. I don't think I'd really want to watch it again.
A few years ago I came across an analysis of the film on the internet.
http://www.geocities.com/~mikehartmann/ ... wolfe.html
The analysis seemed to make sense when I read it all those years ago, and I found it all a bit disappointing.

I'd like to see The Straight Story. It's not a typical Lynch film from what I've heard.